4 Steps to help you turn your New Year resolutions into a reality and a secret key to making 2023 work
Happy New Year. I pray that 2023 will be fruitful and full of God’s abundant favor. Today we will be looking at 4 Steps to help you turn your New Year resolutions into a reality, and a secret key to making 2023 work.
A thought to consider:
We are sure living in unsettling times, and I know that it can be difficult to be positive and forward looking when everything seems so uncertain. But, as a New Year begins, it is a good time to set up some New Year resolutions.
“Where there is no vision, the people perish.” (Proverbs 29:18)
It is therefore a good idea, at the start of a New Year, to set some New Year Resolutions.
Do you know what a “resolution” is? It is a FIRM DECISION to DO or NOT DO something. It is to be resolute or DETERMINED.
Have you set up a few New Year Resolutions?
Now, if you are like some of my friends, they are quick to set up some goals for the New Year but not so good at following through. Their New Year Resolution is not a firm determined decision, but more like a casual wish.
Last week I read a post of a friend who said that he had set a New Year’s Resolution on 1 January to run 5 km’s every day. Unfortunately, he has not started running yet! And more than likely, he won’t follow through unless something changes.
You may have a New Year Resolution to start managing your money better in 2023:
- Maybe your goal is to put God first this year, including with your money matters.
“Honor the Lord with your wealth and with the best part of everything you produce. Then he will fill your barns with grain, and your vats will overflow with good wine.” (Proverbs 3:9-10)
- Maybe your goal is to build up your wealth portfolio in 2023, so that you can one-day retire, or achieve a big dream.
“The wise man saves for the future, but the foolish man spends whatever he gets.” (Proverbs 21:20)
- Maybe your goal is to just manage your money better in 2023.
“Like a city whose walls are broken through is a person who lacks self-control.” (Proverbs 25:28)
Unfortunately, many see New Year Resolutions as a waste of time because they never follow through. If you are like most people you start off with good intentions but often battle to follow through.
Practical wealth-building principle:
So, today, I want to give you a 4 STEP STRATEGY THAT CAN HELP YOU TURN YOUR NEW YEAR RESOLUTIONS INTO A REALITY
- No. 1 – You need to set your GOALS or New Year Resolutions.
- No. 2 – You need to make a FIRM DETERMINED DECISION to follow through.
Many stop here, but the next step is the missing ingredient that can help you to turn your NEW YEAR RESOLUTIONS INTO REALITY.
- No. 3 – You need a simple STEP BY STEP PROCESS that you can set up and follow to get to achieving your goals and making them a REALITY.
- No. 4 – You need to MAKE IT EASY by setting up a REGULAR ROUTINE so that you can do it automatically until it becomes a GOOD HABIT.
- In a nutshell, it is important that you have a step-by-step system that can help you get from where you are to where you want to be.
- The simple process you set up can help you achieve your goals with the least amount of effort.
- Many set New Year Resolutions and have big dreams. This is a good starting point, but unfortunately, even with good intentions, you will battle to follow through if you don’t have a step by step plan.
- The secret is in setting up a step-by-step process that will help you form good habits, which in turn will help you follow through with your goals.
If my friend who set his New Year Resolution of running 5 km’s per day (his goal), set up a simple step by step easy process to make this goal a reality, he would have more chance of achieving his goal….
- No. 1 – He set up his GOAL. ✔
- No. 2 – He needs to make a FIRM DECISION to follow through. ✔
- No. 3 – He needs to set up a STEP-BY-STEP PROCESS to help him follow through …
- If he set out his running shoes before he went to bed, and
- Set his alarm each morning an hour earlier, and
- Scheduled the time to run each morning … ✔
- NO. 4 – If he sticks to this process, and makes it part of his REGULAR ROUTINE, it will become a LIFE CHANGING HABIT that will help him achieve his goal. ✔
My friend would more than likely stick to his 5 km per day running goal if he followed this process and made it a part of his regular day to day routine. Over time it would become second nature, a habit, just like brushing his teeth. He will then be able to turn his New Year Resolution into Reality.
In the same way, if you want to improve your money management in 2023, you need to…
- No. 1 – Set your financial GOALS – YES ✔
- No. 2 – Make a FIRM DECISION to follow through – YES ✔
- No. 3 – Set up a simple STEP BY STEP PROCESS to help you follow through …
- Eg. If you are wanting to give to God, or if you are wanting to build up your investment portfolio, then why not set up a monthly debit order to go off your account before your other expenses come off. This way you will avoid the temptation to spend your money that you allocated to God and to your wealth portfolio. – YES ✔
- NO. 4 – Set up a REGULAR ROUTINE that will MAKE IT EASY for your goal to become a GOOD LIFE CHANGING HABIT
- By setting up a monthly debit order you will automate your process, thereby making it easier to achieve your goals without any extra work. – YES ✔
You can MAKE YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTIONS A REALITY.
Simple wealth principle
Now, when it comes to your money goals, you can consider applying a simple strategy that George Clason shared in The Richest Man in Babylon.
“The Richest Man in Babylon” was written in 1926 and includes financial advice through a collection of parables. The parables are told by a Babylonian scribe named Arkad, who became the “richest man in Babylon”. Included in Arkad’s advice are the “Seven Cures for a lean purse”. He basically gives advice on how to manage your money well and how to build wealth.
Arkad’s first cure was to “Pay Yourself First” by saving 10% of your income so that you can begin to build up your wealth (or that you can build up a “fattened purse” in his language).
Arkad’s advice was that for every 10 coins that you earn and place into your purse, you can only take 9 coins out to cover your expenses and for personal use. He goes on to say that by saving 1 coin in every 10 coins you earn, your “purse will start to get fat” and that the increasing weight will “feel good and bring you satisfaction”.
My advice is that you do not forget about God. Put Him first and give him your first portion, and He will take care of the rest.
But, once you have given your first fruits to God, I would suggest that you save at least 1 coin out of every 10 coins you earn, before you spend money on other things.
Why not consider making a decision to only live on “7 to 8 coins” out of every “10 coins” that you earn.
- Give your 1st coin out of every 10 coins you earn to God, and
- Invest 1 to 2 coins out of every 10 you earn, and
- Live on the remaining 7 to 8 coins out of every 10 you earn.
If you get this right, you will build up your wealth portfolio and you will have a “fat purse” in next to no time!
I want to encourage you to TURN YOUR NEW YEAR RESOLUTIONS INTO REALITY.
Decide to give God at least 1 coin out of every 10 you earn and make a decision to invest at least 1 coin out of every 10 you earn.
How do you do this?
Well, you give your 1st coin out of every 10 you earn to God (your local Church or Ministry), and you also decide to invest at least 1 coin out of every 10 you earn. Now there are many types of saving or investment plans you can make use of. I would suggest that you get some advice on how to set up the right investment to meet your unique objectives.
And then … AUTOMATE IT
By setting up a scheduled debit order. Your debit order will then run automatically. You can arrange for it to be deducted from your account before you pay your other bills. This way, you will always give to God first, and invest part of your hard-earned income before you spend it.
Your system will then automatically run, and you will not even have to think about it. Not only will you be honoring God, but you will also end up automatically saving before you spend.
Once your automated debit order has gone off your account to your Church/Ministry and once your Investment premium is deducted from your account, you can then spend what is left over without having to worry if there will be anything left over to give to God or to invest at the end of the month. You will have set up an automatic system that will help you TURN YOUR NEW YEAR RESOLUTIONS INTO REALITY.
So, if your New Year Resolution is…
- To include God in your budget, or
- to build up your wealth portfolio, or
- just to manage your money better …
Then all you need is…
- No. 1 – A GOAL, ✔
- No. 2 – To be DETERMINE (make a firm decision to follow through) ✔
- No. 3 – A PROCESS (simple step by step plan) ✔
- No 4. – To MAKE IT EASY by AUTOMATING it (make it a regular routine until it becomes good habit) ✔
“Good planning and hard work lead to prosperity, but hasty shortcuts lead to poverty”. (Proverbs 21:5)
I want to share a SECRET KEY with you, that can help make 2023 work out better.
Many don’t even consider this, but it is a vital and often overlooked key that can lead to a successful outcome.
So, what is it?
It is simply to invite God to be the center of your journey. Don’t try go after your dreams and goals alone. God wants to walk the journey with you. Share your goals and dreams with Him. Allow God, who has all the “know how” to lead and guide you. After all, he knows what is up, what is around the next corner, and he has your best interests at heart.
The Bible tells us to commit our plans to God, and that when we do, He will help us out.
“Commit your plans to the LORD and your plans will succeed.” (Proverbs 16:3)
If you plant an apple seed what will you get?
Not just apples, but a whole apple tree. That one tiny seed can produce a tree that will produce many apples each season, if it is well watered and looked after. Imagine if you kept planting seeds regularly. You could end up building a full-on fruit farm.
Can you possibly apply the same principle to your money management? You can plant/invest a few seeds/coins regularly, and over time you can build up a fruit farm/wealth portfolio.
What are you sowing into your life?
Galatians 6:7 “A man reaps what he sows”.
In other words, you will always harvest what you plant.
Sow good seed and you will reap a good harvest. Sow rubbish and you will reap rubbish.
Power quote of the week:
“My goal in 2022 is to accomplish the goals I set in 2021, which should have been done in 2020, because I made a promise in 2019, which I planned in 2018.” – Anonymous
Remember that you cannot make your resolutions a reality without an action plan. Your goals without a step-by-step process will fall flat!
What does God have to say:
It is so easy to get despondent when looking at the crazy times in which we live. We are living in uncertain times. Trying to get through these times alone is stressful and tough. But the Good News is that God wants to walk the journey with you.
God has a good plan for you…
“‘For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'” (NIV)
God invites you to bring your burdens to Him…
“Then Jesus said, ‘Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.’” (NLT)
Set your sights on God. You can live a fruitful and blessed life, despite the chaos.
Psalm 1: 1-3
“Blessed is the one who does not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that sinners take or sit in the company of mockers, but whose delight is in the law of the Lord, and who meditates on his law day and night. That person is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither – whatever they do prospers.”
“But blessed are those who trust in the Lord and have made the Lord their hope and confidence. They are like trees planted along a riverbank, with roots that reach deep into the water. Such trees are not bothered by the heat or worried by long months of drought. Their leaves stay green, and they never stop producing fruit.”
John 15:5, 8 & 16
Jesus said “Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing.
When you produce much fruit, you are my true disciples. This brings great glory to my Father.
You didn’t choose me. I chose you. I appointed you to go and produce lasting fruit, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask for, using my name.”
If you are not in a relationship with God, please invite Jesus Christ into your life to be your Lord and Savior. We were cut off from God due to our sin, but Jesus paid the full price on the cross so that we can be reconnected to God. God loves you so much that He made a way for you to become part of his family. He wants to share forever with you.
“Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name (Jesus), he gave the right to become children of God” (John 1:12)
You can start or restart your walk with God, as His beloved child. What are you waiting for?
Father, as I reflect on my New Year Resolutions, I ask you to help me to set goals and to follow through. I pray that you will help me to align my dreams with your plans for my life, I ask you to protect me and bless me and to help me through 2023. Lord, I give you burdens along with my dreams, and I ask you to plant me on your riverbank. Please help me to bear good fruit and help me to prosper as I keep my eyes on Jesus. In Jesus name. Amen.
May the New Year be fruitful and filled with Gods abundant favor. Don’t stop dreaming! Look up, look forward, and look to Jesus! Be fruitful and multiply. May your NEW YEAR RESOLUTIONS become a REALITY. And remember, with God All things are possible!
God bless you.
Would you want to start or restart your walk with God? If you feel led to, click here to pray a simple prayer we have set up for you.
Enter your name and email address to get INSTANT access to these life-changing eBooks via email!