A QUESTION TO CONSIDER:
During the current pandemic, it is easy to be depressed and despondent, but you can choose to stay UP even though everything is down at the moment.
So, the question today is …
How can I stay UP when everything is down?
PRACTICAL WEALTH PRINCIPLES:
In order to stay UP when everything is down, you need to …
- stay positive and patient in the lockdown,
- ensure that you do not get stuck in current doom and gloom, but have a vision for the future,
- dare to dream and position yourself for the opportunities that will arise out of this storm.
Put God first:
- Look to God. He wants to live life with you. He is in control and you can hold onto Him. “I sought the Lord, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears.” (Psalm 34:4)
- And do not forget to be generous. Jesus said, “Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” (Luke 6:38)
Look on the bright side of life:
- You can choose to look at the problem and be defeated, or you can look UP, learn from the current crisis, and patiently position yourself for the opportunity that will arise out of the storm.
- Proverbs 17:22 “A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a broken spirit saps a person’s strength.”
You can also use this time to look forward, and to position yourself for the future.
So, let us briefly consider a few timeless wealth management principles that can help you rise “UP” financially.
Build up your wealth portfolio before you spend:
- If you spend first, you will never have anything left over to save. So, save and invest first, and then only spend what is left over. This way you will always build up wealth.
- When it comes to building your wealth portfolio, you need to build up your cash flow for short term emergencies and you also need to build up your growth portfolio for your long-term goals and dreams.
- You need to build up a cash reserve to fund short term emergencies. Try to build up at least 3 months back-up income by setting part of your earning aside in a separate bank account
- You also need to build up your long-term growth investments. No matter what happens in the markets, you need to stick to the long-term plan. Markets can be volatile over the short term, and it is difficult to time the market, but you can benefit from compound growth and generate explosive growth over time, if you stay invested over the long term. Stick to your long-term plan. “Whoever gathers money little by little makes it grow.” (Proverbs 13:11)
- Why not automate your savings and investments by setting up a debit order to go off your bank account before your other expenses are debited? This way you will set a habit of saving before you spend.
- It is not how much money you make, but how you use it that counts. So, save and invest before you spend it. “The wise man saves for the future, but the foolish man spends whatever he gets.” (Proverbs 21:20)
Live within your means:
It is important that you prioritize your spending. You need to plan effectively and ensure that you make room in your budget for the important items.
- Set up a budget
- Monitor your spending
- Plug those spending leaks
- Pay your bills
- Say no to unnecessary expenses.
- Be careful of debt. Debt can sneak up on you and steal your cash flow, which can cause much stress and will prevent you from achieving your long-term goals and dreams. So, do your best to eliminate debt. Do not get into debt.
- You can practice delayed gratification by saving up for the things that you really want, but cannot afford at the moment. Why not set funds aside in your budget to cover the “nice to haves”? I promise that you will also end up appreciating the things you buy that you had to save up for.
With a little planning and a bit of work you can stay UP, even when everything is down.
Warren Buffett is an American investor, business tycoon and philanthropist, who is the Chairman and CEO of Berkshire Hathaway. He is considered one of the most successful investors of our time and is currently the 4th wealthiest person in the world.
Mr Buffett has the following advice on money:
On Earning: “Never depend on a single income. Make investment to create a second source.”
In other words, invest your money. Over time you will build a wealth portfolio that will bring in extra income
On Spending: “If you buy things you do not need, soon you will have to sell things you need.”
In other words, don’t buy things just for the sake of buying it. Rather invest it and build wealth.
On Savings: “Do not save what is left after spending, but spend what is left after saving.”
In other words, save before you spend.
On Investment: “Do not put all your eggs in one basket.”
In other words, diversify your investments.
POWER QUOTES OF THE WEEK:
“Never spend your money before you have earned it.” —Thomas Jefferson
“You must gain control over your money or the lack of it will forever control you.” —Dave Ramsey
WHAT DOES GOD HAVE TO SAY:
The best advice I can give you regarding your “Money Matters” is to invite God to be your CEO.
“But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. (Matthew 6:33-34)
Put God first. God is interested in you. He wants to see you excel.
God has all the resources.
“The silver is mine and the gold is mine,’ declares the LORD Almighty.” (Haggai 2:8)
He also wants to walk the journey with you! He can help you.
“Remember the LORD your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth.” (Deuteronomy 8:18)
He can lead you in the right direction and open doors of opportunity.
“The Advocate, The Holy Spirit, whom the father will send in my name, will teach you all things.” (John 14:26)
“The Holy Spirit will guide you into all truth.” (John 16:13)
He wants to help you.
“Commit everything you do to the Lord. Trust him, and he will help you.” (Psalm 37:4)
So, put God first, and let God be your source.
“Honor the Lord with your wealth, with the first fruits of your crops, then your barns will be filled to overflowing, and your vats will brim over with new wine.” (Psalm 3:9-10)
And remember, God is our provider:
In the Bible it shows how Jesus fed over 5000 men and their families with a little boy’s lunch, and there were baskets of leftovers. (Matthew 14:13-21)
Once he was at a wedding and they ran out of wine. He turned water into wine so that the wedding celebrations could continue. (John 2:1-11)
When experienced fishermen had been out fishing all night and had caught nothing, Jesus told them to launch into the deep. These fishermen’s lives were forever changed. That day they caught such a large catch that they nearly sank their boat. (Mark 5: 1-11)
God can turn the tide. He can do all things. Nothing is impossible for Him. Put your hope in him. No situation is so far gone. No need is too small. God calms storms. He can provide for your needs. He can make a way.
Invite him to be your Savior and CEO.
Do you know Jesus as your Savior and as your Provider? He made a way for you to share eternity with Him. And, He doesn’t want you to face the journey of life alone. He wants to do life with you, through the tough times and the good times.
God saw that man was separated from Him, so He even sent His Son, Jesus, to pay the price for you and me on the cross, so that we can come into a relationship with Him. This is not based on our performance, but on what Jesus did on the cross. This relationship ensures that you and I do not need to face life alone, and this relationship continues into eternity.
If you do not know Jesus as your Savior, why not invite Him to be your Lord and Savior? Give Him your life, along with your burdens and concerns. He wants to be your Savior and your source.
If you want to start or restart your walk with God, click here to pray a simple prayer we have set up for you.
Father, thank you for sending Jesus to rescue me. Jesus, I ask you to be my Savior. Thank you for the price you paid on the cross for me so that I can be set free and come into a relationship with you. Today I put my life in your hands, and I thank you that you are my Savior, my protector and my provider. I ask this in Jesus name. Amen.
With God at your side you can rise “UP” even when the world is down. Always look on the bright side of life! Manage your money well and look to God, for he is your hope and you can trust in Him.
God bless you.
If you found this blog post helpful and encouraging, please leave a like and drop us a comment. Join us by subscribing! We would greatly appreciate your input and support!